10/9/07

fall.





It's October. Wow. When did that happen? I feel like this last year (plus a month or two) has sped by like a bullet train. There have been the best of times (weddings) and the worst of times (hospitalized family members). Many questions and decisions, and not quite as many answers. This, combined with the dying of the light and heat, make me want to savor as many moments as possible, take time with my projects and actions (unless they’re undesirable), and really appreciate how things are in these moments. This sounds like an end-of-the-year post, but it feels appropriate now. It is the end of summer and the beginning of fall, after all.



I think I have said before that I love summer. I love the heat and the long days and the light. It is, unequivocally my favorite season. But, there is something heartbreakingly beautiful about fall.



Just the other day, there was an almost perfect fall day (in my opinion). It was a cold night, with a frosty morning- the kind that makes you want to snuggle under your covers with a hot mug of hot chocolate or tea. Eventually, it warmed up, but the temperature was still cool and crisp to the skin. The air was sharp in its clarity, and the sky was such an uninterrupted bright blue that it almost hurt your eyes. The leaves had started changing colors and falling off the trees, crunching underfoot, while the flowers were showing off their colorful blooms, in a last gasp for attention.



It was beautiful.



Soon, the rain will come, and more cold. I don’t specifically dislike the rain and the cold- I especially appreciate rain for what it does, and enjoy the occasional song and dance through it. I like bundling up in sweaters, scarves, and gloves and going for walks in the cold. I also enjoy staying inside, under blankets, or by the fire (a.k.a. my space heater) with a hot toddy, or two.



I only wish there was some snow to go with the cold and rain, but on this island, it’s about as rare as being able to see the Northern Lights. I’m not a big winter sports girl, but I love that soft blanket of white. And let’s not forget the snowflakes falling from the sky! Last winter I took a trip to Chicago, and the sight of the snow falling through the light of the street lamps at night took my breath away. All that individual beauty practically lost in the big picture. Snowflakes are the apple trees of the weather world.



Fall is all about change and opposition. It’s sharp and soft. It has bold colors that fade quickly. It is bright and it is dull, and it can be oh so wonderful. Enjoy it while it lasts!

No comments: