3/10/08

an observation.

Late one night, a number of weeks ago, I was over at an acquaintance's house with our mutual friend, and her boyfriend. It was early in the morning, we were tired and some a bit inebriated, and the day's activities hadn't gone so smoothly. Over a simple question, the couple starts getting into a farce of a fight. I don't mean to belittle the cause of any fight, but the topic of this one was fairly ridiculous. Since the couple had gotten into a fight earlier that day, some of the anger was probably lingering, which I'm sure contributed to the swift battle cry of this one.

The fight of course made the acquaintance and I a bit uncomfortable and we tried to make peace, to no avail. The fight continued. Since it seemed that there was nothing else I could do, I moved to the other side of the room and sat down, half looking out the window at the beautiful, serene night, and half looking across the room at the disruptive, ugly scene.

Then the girl shouts,"I love you _____!" Over his words, she repeats over and over again:
"I love you _____!"
"I love you _____!"
"I love you _____!"
"I love you _____!" Until I can't listen anymore.

And then I think- the lady doth protest too much.

No comments: