11/11/08

fresh start.

From here on out, it's smooth sailing. From here on out, I'm pursuing happiness. From here on out, it gets better.

The economy is horrible, and I'm bored with my day job, but I have something new- something to make staying at the day job worthwhile. I have: freelance design work. I currently have work within my chosen profession. I have work that I enjoy doing, that I can feel satisfied about. And that, that makes all the difference in the world. Even one small part of my day or week being dedicated to something that I like (in terms of a career and a supporting myself) means so much.

Along with this new work came a semi-epiphany. Most young people I know whom I consider successful don't work 9 to 5 jobs. They work 9 to 5 jobs and then some. This doesn't necessarily mean overtime at work- it can also mean side jobs, whether it be in the same field or another one. It means being a teacher and tutoring on the side. It means being an editor and writing screenplays in your downtime. It means being an art director and photographing weddings on the weekend.

So.

So what if right now I can't find a job in my industry? I have a steady day job that I am happy to have in these uncertain times. But, I also have independent work. Work that I want, work that I appreciate, work that makes my life a little easier, work that eases my stress a little, though it makes me busier. And that? That's pretty sweet.

No comments: